Put A Stop To Unfair Debt Collection Practices
Unfair debt collection practices are not merely annoying — they are potentially destructive. Even the federal government recognizes this fact. It reports that “abusive debt collection practices contribute to the number of personal bankruptcies, to marital instability, to the loss of jobs and to invasions of individual privacy.”
If you are being treated unfairly and illegally by a debt collection agency in Maryland, don’t hesitate to get a strong advocate on your side. At Kurland Law Group in Rockville, you will find an experienced lawyer who can help put a stop to the harassment and abuse you face. Attorney Sari K. Kurland has been representing individuals like you throughout the state for more than 20 years.
You Have Rights Under The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
Because abusive practices are so widespread and harmful, the government created the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA). This act applies to businesses and agencies that get paid to collect debts for other parties. The FDCPA strictly limits how such businesses operate. Among other restrictions, it says that debt collectors:
- Must contact your attorney instead of you, as soon as you retain the services of a lawyer
- Must identify themselves when they call
- Must NOT call you at work in an effort to get you in trouble with your boss
- Must NOT use obscenities when talking with you
- Must NOT threaten you or your family
- Must NOT lie to you or intentionally mislead you
- Must NOT continually call you again and again without a break
- Must NOT call your friends and family
Kurland Law Group is available to take prompt action on your behalf if you are experiencing unlawful treatment.
Call Today For A Free, Confidential Phone Consultation
Call our Rockville office at 301-284-0867 or contact us by e-mail for a free consultation about your options. Kurland Law Group provides personal, caring service and offers payment plans as necessary.
Se habla español.